Thursday, July 16, 2009

I was thrilled & delighted to receive the Honest Scrap award from my sis, Fantz, at Fancy Schmancy. Although she's my li'l sis, I look up to her Big Time when it comes to blogging, and I am admittedly lagging light years behind her in quality and quantity! Hey man, I don't have Internet at home & can only steal tiny moments of quiet to think during a working lunch in this bedlam I call an office. Anyway, the "Honest Scrap rules are as follows: “The Honest Scrap” award is not one to hold all to your self but it must be shared!"

  1. First, the recipient has to tell 10 true things about themselves in their blog that no one else knows.

  2. Second, the recipient has to pass along this prestigious award to 10 more bloggers.

  3. Third, those 10 bloggers all have to be notified they have been given with this award.
    Those 10 bloggers that receive this award should link back to the blog that awarded them “The Honest Scrap’ award.


OK, this will be the first part of the Following of the Rules [I'll have to get to the 2nd & 3rd rules at a later date]: 10 true things about me just off the top of my head since, if I wait & think about it, I will forget to get back on here to follow up!

  1. Speaking of forgetting... I have so much going on that unless I make lists and then lists of lists, I suffer from the unenviable disease of CRS. Can't Remember Shit. I can't blame it on old age, since I've had it for many years. I'd rather blame it on Mommy Dearest since she's had it as long as I can remember - which is back to the age of 3. Not her age, mine. More about Age 3 another time...
  2. I am a slob. Yes I admit it. A Major Enormo Slob. My desk is overflowing with piles of junk haphazardly perched and spilling all over the place. I have to admit part of it was to torment my former co-worker who is a neat freak of the Felix Unger variety and I happily played Oscar to her Felix. I'm probably dating myself, they were characters in a 1970's TV show called The Odd Couple about a neat freak and a slob, separated from their wives, who had to live together. [It reminds me very much of the modern day Two and a Half Men, one of my favorite shows. yummmmmmmmmmm- Charlie...] Even Felix & Oscar's portrayed personalities matched that of me and my co-worker, The Princess, as I dubbed her. hahaha. Oscar was also a crabby grump and Felix drove him nuts as well. Now I guess I need to clean up my act since Princess just retired & I don't have her to pick on anymore! The problem is, when I clean things up, I can't find anything. Yeah, I'll maybe get to the cleaning up part tomorrow.
  3. Which leads me to - World's Greatest Procrastinator. Probably a euphemism for "Lazy". I always put off till tomorrow what should be done today. If I put something off long enough sometimes it just goes away. That doesn't actually always work but the good news is, when pushed into a corner or facing a deadline, I spring to action and usually pull off my best work under pressure. I've been that way since high school and would produce some brilliant work, if i do say so.
  4. I love to bargain hunt. My favorite addiction is to shop at Ocean State Job Lots. They sell manufacturer's overruns, overstocks, packaging changes, etc. at close-out prices. I take it to the next level by signing up for Internet coupons for stuff in the store that you have to really hunt to find, which is annoying but whatevs. I now have things I only buy there & am dreading going in to find they don't carry it anymore, stuff they sometimes have for a year or more at a time will suddenly be gone for good! For a long time they had super duper big jars of minced garlic for practically Free, plus these ready to eat boxes of Indian curries & Indian vegetable dishes, I was hooked up for about a year, then one day - gone. The same with bread machine mixes, where you just dump in the mix & measure water or oil and you're done - gone! To think that I must now go and buy yeast - that's got a short shelf life - and special flour, geez I don't know if I can handle all that extra work! [Remember #3, Lazy...] Now, I go there for incredibly low prices on grated cheese, tinned crabmeat, olive oil, spices, disposable baking tins, nuts, cards, tools, light bulbs, seasonal stuff like veggie/flower seeds, & of course, TOYS. The prices for toys are unreal, especially in November when they come out with the holiday stock. Yes, I am obsessed with my OSJL!
  5. I'm a Freecycle Freak. My sista Fantz turned me onto it a few years ago & I enjoy it so much I am Jonesing for it on the weekend when I don't have access to the Net. It's a grassroots, nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. I was brought up by a father who Never. Threw. Anything. Away. EVER. I unfortunately inherited his very bad habits, being a packrat is only one of them unfortunately [that's yet another completely different blog- watch for it because it will be a goody]. So Freecycle frees Me, Mme. Chaos. I had a perfectly good bread machine that I got from Mommy Dearest when she and Horhay [Daddy Packrat] moved to Florida. I made bread one evening for some event where I had family over for dinner. When you bake the bread & remove it from the machine, there's a metal 1 1/2" paddle doo-hicky that slides out of the machine & remains in the bottom of the bread. You have to pull it from the bread & it's covered with baked crust. So I soak it in the sink for a while to make it easy to clean. My daughter, Chaos Junior, somehow threw it away when cleaning the drain baskets. I couldn't find a replacement part & it was killing me to just throw my beloved bread machine away, so I figured-who knows- someone might want it. It wasn't even posted on Freecycle for a full day & I received several requests for it, all with full disclosure that they would need to buy a new doo-hicky to actually make bread! Off it went to a new home with a very happy Freecycler. And I've lucked into tons of great finds myself: a rusty bike for the occasional overnight visit of my 9 year old granddaughter; tons of toys including an old Fisher Price outdoor playscape & ride-on rocking horse; frozen beef from a farm that needed to be moved out of the freezer to make way for the soon to be slaughtered cow; a glass patio table for my daughter; many children's & adult books & VHS children's movies [even including two 4' tall freestanding VHS holders]; working VCR's; TVs; air conditioners; clothes, & more. I've given away tons of clothes, kitchenware, appliances, etc. myself on Freecycle. I live guilt free from throwing anything away that could still be used For the Good of Others and Our Earth. [I am right now, as we speak, running barefoot in a meadow throwing daisies. Really.]

OK, that was 5 of ten, way way too long & too much info, so I will take this up again tomorrow! I'm actually expected to work around here, can you believe the nerve of some people?

1 comment:

Fancy Schmancy said...

That was great! Thanks for playing along!